Monday, March 30, 2009

Brooke Shaden (brookshaden)

Here is the third interveiw with brookeshaden!

where are you from?
I am originally from Lancaster, PA. I went to college in Philadelphia and then moved to Los Angeles in early February.

if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?
I turned 22 on March 2.

where do your photoshoots usually take place?
I do almost all of my photoshoots in my apartment - which makes for a difficult time because I only have a one-room apartment, plus a small kitchen and bathroom. Lucky for me, though, I have a blank wall and some sunlight :)


how did photography become an interest of yours?
I went to school for filmmaking, and it wasn't until I graduated in December that I really picked up my still camera. I started a flickr on December 19th, and have been hooked ever since!

what is your most vivid dream?
Funny, I was just recalling this the other day. I had this dream throughout my entire childhood. I am in a creepy house walking up what seems like an infinite amount of stairs. I get to the top and crawl through a trap door. The attic of this house is a 2ft tall crawl space that is filled with stuffed animals. I crawl through the stuffed animals and finally get to a bigger room. In this room there is a lone desk with a giant frog sitting in an office chair and smoking a cigar. He turns toward me, smiles, and shoots me in the head.


what is your favorite thing to photograph?
I love photographing skin, because I think that one of the most beautiful things is the way light reflects skin. I also love the human form.

are there any main themes that you try to convey through your photography?
I like to photograph things that are sad, or convey strong emotions. That is why I started my series called "Small Deaths". I think that there is real beauty in suffering, and even more than that, there is beauty in the story that goes with it.

what are your favorite books/songs/movies?
I love answering this question in the hope that someone will go out and listen/read/see what I'm talking about :) My favorite music comes from a few artists - Radiohead, Aphex Twin, Damien Rice, Regina Spektor. My favorite book is Dune, and my favorite movie, hands down, is Pan's Labyrinth. I just saw The Reader, and I thought that was incredibly brilliant


who or what would you most like to photograph?
EASY! Kiera Knightly. I have a sort of obsession with people's backs, and I imagine hers would be lovely to shoot. Does that sound creepy? Oh well :)

what is your favorite photo of yours?
I think that would have to be "Gestation" - but "Retention" and "Spill" are close seconds.


do you have any other interests besides photography?
My other main interest is filmmaking. I just completed my first short film, which will be entering the film festival circuit shortly (and there is an article in the "In Camera" magazine coming out in April - shameless plug, I know). I love cinematography and always want to be behind a camera. I also love to write poetry.

what is your biggest fear?
In the most literal senses, my biggest fear is the ocean. Don't get me wrong, I love to go to the beach and play in the waves. But usually I force my sister to get in with me and hold me the entire time. For some reason, I am convinced that a whale will eat me or something. Don't ask. The ocean is just so big and it is really easy to imagine being lost in it forever.

how would you as a person like to be remembered?
I don't have any desire to change the world - I'm not big on politics. But what I do want is for someone standing at my funeral to think "wow, she really made me look at life in a new way".


what is the craziest/ hardest shoot you have ever done?
For my photo called "Wallen" I had to get plastic wrapped to a wall for two hours and it was easily the most painful shoot I've ever done. But then I've got photos like "Ripening Eggshell" that require me to lay dead in a parking garage in front of people...which is just awkward.

if you could interview one person who would you interview and why?
I would interview Lynne Ramsay. She created the short film "Small Deaths", which inspired my death series.

check out brookshaden's flickr stream here

No comments:

Post a Comment