Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Marty Conklin (martyconklin)


Horray for the next interviewee, martyconklin!

first of all, where are you from?
I'm from Lantana, Florida. It's a city close a beautiful beach but certainly not a luxurious place!

How and when did you take interest in photography?
I first became interested in photography a little over a year ago when I bought my 98 dollar Sony Cyber-shot. I started taking pictures of random things when I had nothing else to do and I had a lot of fun with it. So what began as something I did only when I was bored then turned into a hobby turned into a hobby and eventually blossomed into my passion.

What equipment do you use?
I use my trusty Sony Cybershot! I named him Everett. I also use my tripod but I didn't name it because I thought it'd be awkward to name anything that screwed into Everett's back side.


What is your most vivid dream?
I'd have to say it was one I had when I was only a little guy. In the dream I was a photographer and I took pictures of werewolves. (I had a MAJOR fear of werewolves as a result of watching Michael Jackson's Thriller music video.) So in my dream I was reviewing through polaroids with pictures of werewolves on them and I randomly got up and started walking around my house. I walked into the room which is now my computer room, the room I'm in now and approached a window. I moved the blinds to see outside and when I began to do so, voiced began to say, "No Marty, don't look, don't look." but I still looked out the window and saw a blinding light. The dream still gives me goosebumps when I think about it. I think there's a hidden meaning to it but I have yet to find it.

what is/are your favorite subject(s) to photograph?
I love taking pictures of people. I really need to find more friends who would be willing to pose for me! When you take pictures of different people it makes people wonder who they are, what they're like, and what their story is. It makes the audience think deeper than "Oh, that's a nice picture." and that's what I like about taking pictures of people.

Are there any main themes and ideas you try to convey through your photography?
With every picture I take, I always try to let the viewer get to know who I am. My likes, my dislikes, my hobbies, my family, my friends, my religion, etc. I think having a relationship with your audience is very important because then they can relate to you and it makes your photos all the more interesting.


what is your absolute favorite thing about photography?
Photography is thoughts and feelings put into an image. You channel every feeling you have and put it into the pictures you take and make a masterpiece out of them. Photography is just a magnificent way to clear your mind.

Do you have a favorite photographer?
Not any in particular. I love young photographers like me though, you see the amazing things they do despite their age and you can't help but be inspired.

What inspires you most?
Inspiration comes to me randomly, just out of the blue. It mostly comes from music or anything going on in my everyday life.

How do you prepare for a shoot, and how long to they usually take you?
I love having photoshoots in new and interesting places, I get a sense of adventure. Most of the time I'll go outside and just take pictures of random things that catch my eye, other times I'll get an idea and take the picture on the spot. My photoshoots can last anywhere between ten minutes and most of the day.


Whats are you favorite songs/books/movies?
Song: Hosanna by Hillsong United
This song means so much to me. It's a cry out to God for help and I need all the help I can get from God.

Movie: Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
I love this movie because it's hilarious, and the relationship between Nick and Norah brings a smile to my face. I hope one of these days I can find the Norah to my Nick. (Yeah, that was cheesy.)

I don't have a favorite book. I have read plenty of books, but none of them have really touched me in a special way.


If you could photograph any person past or present who would you photograph?
I would photograph Edgar Allen Poe. He was just a very interesting man, and I think film could capture that.

what is your favorite photo of yours?
It's this one: (http://www.flickr.com/photos/banana_pancakes/3218656153/)
I love this one because I really got the mood across in the photo an it really helps to look back on it and see how God pulled me out of the hard times.

who is your biggest role model?
It sounds corny, but my role model is Jesus. He loved everyone and he led the perfect life, he was amazing! I base my life off of how he lived his, it's hard but I believe it will have benefits in the long run.

Check out martyconklin's flickr stream here.

1 comment:

  1. im so glad i found your blog and that you interviewed him, he takes great photos and seems like a great kid :)

    ReplyDelete